Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 1/4 cupwater
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced or diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme + rosemary
- 3 cans (15oz) white beans(cannellini, great northern or chickpeas), drained and rinsed (or 16 oz bag of white beans, prepared)
- 4 – 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1 cup cooked orzo
- Couple handfuls of spinach or kale (optional)
- 1 – 2 lemons, juice of 1
- salt + pepper
- fresh chopped parsley, to serve
Saute: In a large pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onion, carrots, and celery, saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook 1 minute more.
Simmer: Add the white beans, vegetable broth, tahini, orzo and salt + pepper, give a good stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover askew, and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add lemon: Remove from heat, add lemon juice and let cool a bit before serving. The broth will thicken upon standing. Season with more salt, pepper or herbs as desired. You can add a couple hand fulls of spinach or kale as well for extra plants!
Serves 4 – 6
Serve in individual bowls with fresh parsley and squeeze of lemon. Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little heat.